If I had to guess, many of you reading this can’t go without your morning cup of coffee. But what if I told you drinking it is actually our second favorite way to use coffee?
Our office is all about detoxification–sweating, breathing, urinating, and of course, pooping. Coffee has several health benefits, which come in handy when needing to detoxify. If you haven’t caught on yet, I’m talking about using coffee as an enema, aka inserted rectally.
You read that right. An enema is when you fill your large intestine with fluid via your rectum. Therefore, a coffee enema is exactly what it seems–injecting coffee rectally for detoxification.
This isn’t a new thing. In fact, enemas have been used since the 1800s. And since coffee is packed full of caffeine and antioxidants, what better way to reap the benefits by putting it where it is directly absorbed, bypassing the stomach.
The benefits are really incredible.
-increased glutathione production (most powerful antioxidant)
-relieving constipation, which optimizes elimination of toxins
-stimulates the liver to produce bile, to bind and eliminate toxins
-dilates blood vessels to increase blood flow to the liver, again to detoxify
How often should you do an enema? That depends. And really requires the input of a knowledgeable clinician to help guide you based on your personal health needs. But as a general rule, doing them once weekly is an easy way to optimize health and boost detoxification.
As with everything, there are risks, particularly if coffee enemas are not done correctly. If you use too much fluid or fill your intestines too quickly you could get a tear in the intestinal wall. Or if you do them too often and don’t dilute them correctly, you could get dehydrated.
To ensure your enema is done safely and correctly, we purchased easy to use kits from the Swiss Mountain Clinic in Switzerland. Many of the “big name” Functional Medicine clinicians purchase theirs from them, too. If you’ve done a coffee enema before, we guarantee it hasn’t been as simple and as high of quality as the kits we have! Their instant coffee is organically sourced and also has charcoal in it, which acts as a binder to the toxins, to increase elimination.
Follow these steps:
1. Fill the bottle with warm (body temp) water.
2. Add about 2 scoops (included) of the instant coffee to the bottle
3. Make sure the tubing is clamped. Then connect it to the bottle.
4. Hold the bottle about 18 inches above you, so it doesn’t run in too quickly
5. Lay on your left side in the fetal position, on the bathroom floor. (You’ll want some towels under you for easy clean up.)
6. Insert the nozzle gently in your rectum, about 2 to 4 inches. If you need coconut oil or castor oil as a lubricant that is fine, too.
7. Unclamp the tube and allow the fluid to slowly run in.
8. Once it’s all in, try to lay there for up to 15 minutes. But it’s very likely you won’t make it long before needing to hop on the toilet.
And that’s it! Easy. I know you’re so excited to try one. So stop by our clinic or call 308-390-2663 to purchase one of our kits! Your body will thank you.